We often hear of “results” or goals in the training world and rightfully so. However, I would like to prove why results alone or being obsessed with goals may lead to failure.
Everyday I look at social media I am bombarded with before and afters of all these amazing “results” that people have had in their fitness programs. On the outset it looks impressive and amazing. Don’t get me wrong, many of the pictures and stories are quite amazing! As a trainer in this industry for over 15 years, I have seen many different styles and fads come and go. Today, it seems like the “before and after” photos has take the fitness world by storm! What’s wrong with that?
This is what I have experienced: They are often,
1. They are rigged (lights, body position, photoshop; you’d be amazed
at how these can be manipulted). They may be pictures without real dates or OLD pictures. Sometimes the pics are of the same person losing the same weight over and over again!
2. They don’t tell the real client story (health changes, mindset
shifts, quality of life; it’s all glossed over). These are the real results and make “before and afters” last a lifetime.
3. They don’t tell the real coaching story (priorities, values, moments
of breakthrough, personal struggle; and how coaching helped). A person’s life is “really” changed from the inside out, not the outside in.
4. They don’t show the cost to benefit ratio (there are real benefits
but also costs and tradeoffs; the pictures hide those). We must learn to sacrifice in life to get what we want but more importantly what is best for our health.
5. They hide the ugly truth about what some trainers make their clients do to lose the weight (fad dieting, starvation, dehydrating, cardiovascular frenzy’s, diet pills etc.)
If not taught properly, a person with become obsessed with goals and lose the same weight over and over again. They will not learn to control themselves but only to make extreme adjustments when they have “fallen off the wagon.”
That’s why, at LEAN Training Studio/TFW, we don’t JUST show before and after pictures…
We change our clients from the inside out!